Wednesday 12 October 2011

Goddesses and Doormats

“There are only two types of women: goddesses and doormats.”

Picasso






I saw this quote by Picasso recently and thought to myself, 'I wonder if he prefers goddesses or doormats?' I didn't feel any closer to an answer when I started to look up his work featuring women.
Regardless, the man can only provoke curiousity. It's well know of course that he had several muses throughout his career, but in the early 90's one expert (Rubin formally of the Museum of Modern Art) claims that several of his paintings were in fact other a woman he barely knew - Sara Murphy and not his wife Olga. What a player.

In any case he was a talented fellow.

1 comment:

My Secret Rooms said...

Well, the world certainly isn't either black or white.
Still: that quotation hit home with me, at this particular time of life.
I've recently been (still is?) in a process in my work life, where I need to transform myself from a lot less of a "doormat" into maybe a little more of a .... goddess?!
I think so. It feels like it.

So, this gave me something, this glorious day. I guess that counts for something, even for that man ;-D